Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Eight Cousins by Louisa May Alcott


SYNOPSIS:  Rose is orphaned and left to her uncle's guardianship.  She lives amongst aunts and several (boy) cousins.  As she grows up, she learns to love her family, and they fall in love with her.

AUNT SHARON'S TAKE:  My dad had an ancient copy of this book, which I read over and over until it fell apart.  It was my favorite book as a pre-teen, and it is still my favorite Louisa May Alcott book.  I think my love for it may have had a lot to do with the fact that the main character, Rose, can do no wrong, and as is even somewhat of a martyr.  I think I liked the idea of being inculpable as a pre-teen.  Also, young people today may not be able to get past the fact that Rose's cousins become love interests in future books.  However, I think this is a pleasant and fun story that is surprisingly easy to read.

RATING:  G

AUDIENCE:  Pre-teen

STARS:  4 1/2


No comments: