Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Sever by Lauren DeStefano


SYNOPSIS:  We rejoin Rhine's story as she is in the hospital recovering from her father-in-law's "treatments."  Her once-husband now knows that she does not love him, and they come to terms with their new relationship as aquaintances.  However, Rhine still needs to find her brother, and everyone is desperate to discover the cure to the disease afflicting them all, before it is too late.

AUNT SHARON'S TAKE:  I kept with the trilogy, hoping to find out how the story ended, but I was disappointed with the finale in the trilogy.  I felt like the story was dragging on throughout the first half of the novel, then rushed at the end.  Plus, I kind of felt some of the characters had changed in nature throughout this novel.  I won't include any spoilers, but it felt like some characters changed from "bad" to "good," or vice versa, just for convenience.  For me, it didn't feel like the ending was worth reading all three novels.  Also, reading it reminded me of some content issues in the series, with sensuality and violence.  All in all, I might just skip the whole series.

RATING:  PG13 for violence and graphic segments

AUDIENCE:  Young Adults

STARS:  2

BOOKS LIKE THIS:  Delirium, Divergent, Wither

No comments: