Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell

SYNOPSIS:  Karana has never known anything but her island.  She loves the animals, and her life with her family.  But when foreigners come to the island, everything changes.  In the end, Karana is dependent on her skills and knowledge to survive, alone.

AUNT SHARON'S TAKE:  I had never read this book, and knowing it was a classic, I decided to try it out.  I'll be honest and say it wasn't really my style, but I think that is mostly personal preference.  The main character is definitely a strong protagonist, and the storytelling and description are great, as well.  I would recommend it for teen and pre-teen readers who enjoy stories of strength and survival.

AUDIENCE:  Pre-teens and Teens

RATING:  PG for Violence and Graphic Imagery

STARS:  3 1/2

BOOKS LIKE THIS:  HatchetLittle House Series

No comments: