Monday, November 18, 2013

Struck by Jennifer Bosworth

SYNOPSIS:  Mia has been struck by lightning so many times, she craves it.  However, she knows it is dangerous.  Not just for her, but for those around her.  After a huge earthquake and storm bring life around her to a complete halt, she finds herself choosing sides between a religious cult, and a secret society, both of whom want her on their side.

AUNT SHARON'S TAKE:  This book was very dark.  In my opinion, too dark.  Also, I felt the writing didn't flow very well, and I was a bit distracted by the narrator's side comments sometimes.  I also didn't like the presentation of the two opposing sides. It could be my misinterpretation, but I thought it symbolized good vs. evil, with a strong inclination toward the evil side.  In my opinion, that's not the best message to send to its target audience.  However, that is just my opinion.  I wouldn't recommend this read, and would especially not recommend it for younger readers due to the dark, and sometimes disturbing content.

AUDIENCE:  Young Adult

RATING:  PG13 for Violence, Language, and Disturbing Imagery

STARS:  1 1/2

BOOKS LIKE THIS:  Poison Princess, Partials

No comments: