Monday, May 6, 2013

Prized by Caragh O'Brien


SYNOPSIS:  Gaia's adventures continue in this second book of the Birthmarked trilogy.  Gaia escapes the Enclave, only to find herself dying of thirst in the desert, watching her baby sister die as well.  When she is rescued and taken to a new village, she begins to question her beliefs and identity, as well as what matters most to her.

AUNT SHARON'S TAKE:  I was losing patience with the series a little even with book one, and by book two, I feel like I lost it completely.  Quite a lot of the book is devoted to Gaia's beliefs, which most likely mirror those of the author's, and felt a little like propoganda.  I felt like I was being lectured on arguments regarding everything from abortion to government control, from capitalism to environmentalism.  I mostly read for entertainment, not to be persuaded, and got a little irritated by the end of the book.  Also, I felt the main character showed very little character strength.  Somehow, everyone admires and loves her in the book, but I felt she was just annoying and inconstant.  That being said, I think others may feel differently about the book and enjoy the different lifestyles and adventures Gaia has.  There are a few issues in the book that I think were too mature for younger readers, including violence, graphic childbirth scenes, adult topics, and sensuality.  I wouldn't recommend this book, especially to younger readers.

RATING:  PG13 for Graphic and Disturbing Imagery and Sensuality

AUDIENCE:  Young Adults

STARS:  1

BOOKS LIKE THIS:  Uglies, Divergent

No comments: