Monday, February 4, 2013

Nobody's Princess by Esther Friesner


SYNOPSIS:  We all know the story of Helen of Troy, but what happened before she grew up and sparked the Trojan War?  This story is about the childhood and adolescence of the famous queen.

AUNT SHARON'S TAKE:  I wasn't a huge fan of this book.  I didn't like the writing style, and thought the character was irritating and self-centered.  Also, the story ended abruptly, right when it started to get interesting, so I'm not sure a prequel to Helen's story was really in order.  However, the author had an obvious understanding of the period and mythology.   When I continued reading at the end, I found out that the she had been the recipient of several awards, so others may not share my negative opinion.  As far as content goes, there was some strong violence, as you might expect in a book based on Greek mythology.

RATING:  PG13 for Violence

AUDIENCE:  Teens

STARS:  1 1/2

BOOKS LIKE THIS:  Illiad, Princess of the Midnight Ball, Entwined

No comments: